Eric Shute, MD
Psychiatrist, UT Health Austin Pediatric Psychiatry at Dell Children's
The University of Texas Medical Branch at Galveston, MD
University of North Texas, BS, Biochemistry
Internship and Residency, Pediatrics, The University of Texas Southwestern Medical Center
Residency, Psychiatry, University of Pennsylvania
Fellowship, Child and Adult Psychiatry, Children's Hospital of Philadelphia/University of Pennsylvania
Eric Schute, MD, is a licensed child and adolescent psychiatrist in UT Health Austin Pediatric Psychiatry at Dell Children’s. He specializes in behavioral health disorders in children with medical complexities, specifically on the Dell Children’s Medical Center pediatric consult-liaison service and Children’s Blood and Cancer Center, and he provides specialized care for LGBT patients and their families through the Adolescent Clinic at Dell Children’s. Additionally, Dr. Schute is an assistant professor in the Dell Medical School Department of Psychiatry and Behavioral Sciences and serves as the Course Director for Medical Student Elective Rotations in Child and Adolescent Psychiatry at Dell Children’s Medical Center.
Dr. Shute earned his medical degree from The University of Texas Medical Branch at Galveston and his bachelor’s in biochemistry at the University of North Texas. He completed both an internship and residency in pediatrics at The University of Texas Southwestern Medical Center. He also completed a combined residency in psychiatry and fellowship in child and adolescent psychiatry at the University of Pennsylvania and Children’s Hospital of Philadelphia.
Dr. Schute is an active member of the American Academy of Child and Adolescent Psychiatry, the American Psychiatric Association, the American Academy of Pediatrics, the Texas Medical Association, and the American Medical Association.
- Attention-deficit/hyperactivity disorder
- LGBT mental health issues
- Pediatric somatic disorders
- Pediatric consultation psychiatry
- American Board of Psychiatry and Neurology, Psychiatry
- American Board of Psychiatry and Neurology, Child and Adolescent Psychiatry
Awards & Honors
- Educational Innovation Award, The University of Texas Southwestern Medical Center Department of Pediatrics
- Educational Outreach Award, American Academy of Child and Adolescent Psychiatry
- Excellence in Student Teaching Award, The University of Texas Medical Branch at Galveston