John Harkins, MD, FACOG
Obstetrician, Comprehensive Fetal Care Center
West Virginia University School of Medicine, MD
The University of North Carolina, BA
Residency, Obstetrics and Gynecology, St. Joseph Medical Center
John Harkins, MD, FACOG, is a board-certified obstetrician-gynecologist in the Comprehensive Fetal Care Center, a clinical partnership between Dell Children’s Medical Center and UT Health Austin. He specializes in complex obstetrics and taking care of critically ill neonatal patients. Additionally, Dr. Harkins is an assistant professor in the Dell Medical School Department of Women’s Health.
Dr. Harkins earned his medical degree from the West Virginia University School of Medicine and his bachelor’s from The University of North Carolina. He completed a residency in obstetrics and gynecology at St. Joseph Medical Center.
Dr. Harkins serves as the Academic Medical Director of Perinatal Services for Seton Medical Center Austin, the Chief of Staff for Dell Seton Medical Center at The University of Texas, and the Chief Medical Officer for both Ascension Medical Group and the Ascension Seton Family of Doctors. He is also the lead obstetrical surgeon for abnormal placentation at Ascension Seton. His clinical and research interests focus on reducing serious safety events in perinatal units, of which he has presented at national conferences. He has also participated in several medical mission trips to Nicaragua.
- Abnormal placental implantation
- Obstetrical surgery
- American Board of Obstetrics and Gynecology, Obstetrics and Gynecology
Awards & Honors
- Austin Monthly Top Doctor
- National Mentor Award, The American College of Obstetricians and Gynecologists
- Outstanding Resident Laparoscopist, American Association of Gynecologic Laparoscopists
- Resident Teaching Award, St. Joseph Medical Center
- Top 10% Peer Reviewer, Obstetrics & Gynecology/Green Journal