Melissa Cossey, MD
Pediatric Hospitalist, Texas Center for Pediatric and Congenital Heart Disease
McGovern Medical School at The University of Texas Health Science Center at Houston, MD
The University of Texas at Austin, BS, Chemical Engineering & BA, Spanish
Residency, Pediatrics, Children's Medical Center Dallas/The University of Texas Southwestern Medical School
Melissa Cossey, MD, is a board-certified pediatrician in the Texas Center for Pediatric and Congenital Heart Disease, a clinical partnership between Dell Children’s Medical Center and UT Health Austin. She specializes in caring for children that require hospitalization for acute, chronic, common, and complex medical conditions that require specialty management. Additionally, Dr. Cossey is an assistant professor and serves as the Educational Director of the Pediatric Residents’ Inpatient Rotations for the Dell Medical School Department of Pediatrics.
Dr. Cossey earned her medical degree from McGovern Medical School at The University of Texas Health Science Center at Houston and both her bachelor’s in chemical engineering and her bachelor’s in Spanish from The University of Texas at Austin. She completed a residency in pediatrics at Children's Medical Center Dallas/The University of Texas Southwestern Medical School.
Dr. Cossey’s clinical interests include educating her patients and their families as well as the next generation of pediatricians. She currently serves on multiple committees at Dell Children’s Medical Center and with Austin Public Health and is the editor of an upcoming educational book on pediatric hospital medicine.
Dr. Cossey is a pediatric hospitalist with UT Health Austin.
- Pediatric inpatient care
- The American Board of Pediatrics, Pediatrics
- The American Board of Pediatrics, Pediatric Hospital Medicine, Board Eligible
Awards & Honors
- Bill Aston Award for Quality
- Faculty of the Year Teaching Award, The University of Texas Medical Branch at Galveston Department of Pediatrics
- Faculty of the Year Teaching Award, The University of Texas Southwestern Medical Center – Austin Department of Pediatrics
- Physician Excellence Award, Choosing Wisely STARS (Students and Trainees Advocating for Resource Stewardship)
- Network Quality Award
- Nursing Award for Interprofessional Communication, The University of Texas at Austin
- Quality Improvement Award, Texas Hospital Association