Duke University, PhD
Harbin Medical University, MD
Internship/residency, Internal Medicine, UT Southwestern, Austin Programs
Fellowship, Cardiology, The University of North Carolina at Chapel Hill
Yan Liu, MD, PhD, FACC, is a board-certified cardiologist, cardio-oncologist, and the Director of Cardio-oncology at the Institute for Cardiovascular Health, a clinical partnership between Ascension Seton and UT Health Austin. He specializes in cardio-oncology, general cardiology, cardiovascular imaging, and vascular medicine. Additionally, Dr. Liu is an assistant professor in the Dell Medical School Department of Internal Medicine.
Dr. Liu completed his residency training in internal medicine at the University of Texas Southwestern Austin Programs. He then completed his cardiology fellowship and served as the chief cardiology fellow at the University of North Carolina at Chapel Hill Hospitals. Dr. Liu also received a doctorate in immunology at Duke University and completed his oncology postdoctoral research fellowship at the Lineberger Comprehensive Cancer Center at UNC-Chapel Hill through the Joseph Pagano Fellowship Award. Prior to joining Ascension/UT Austin, he was an assistant professor of medicine at UNC-Chapel Hill.
Dr. Liu’s research is focused on the novel molecular pathways in cardiovascular disease and cancer, leading to innovative therapy and drug development in cardiovascular disease and cardio-oncology. He served as the principal investigator in several investigator-initiated original clinical studies funded by national non-profit agencies. He has authored more than 30 peer-reviewed scientific papers and is an inventor on several patents that lead to two clinical-stage biotech companies and an FDA-approved, guideline-recommended first-in-class chemoprotection drug.
Dr. Liu is a fellow of the American College of Cardiology. He has served on numerous committees, editorial boards, and scientific boards, including the editorial board of Cardio-Oncology journal, ACO Board at Bayview Health, the cardio-oncology advisory board at Pfizer, the expert panel at Texas Medical Board and is the past president of Texas Medical Association Burnet & Lampasas County Medical Society.
Dr. Liu is a cardiologist and cardio-oncologist with Ascension Medical Group.
- General cardiology
- Nuclear cardiology
- Coronary CT angiogram
- Vascular imaging
- American Board of Internal Medicine, Cardiovascular Disease
- Certification Board of Nuclear Cardiology
- National Board of Echocardiography
- Registered Physician in Vascular Interpretation (RPVI)
- American Board of Internal Medicine
Awards & Honors
- Archie Robinson Excellent Physician Award, Austin Heart, Hospital Corporation of America
- Team Excellence Award, Team Leader, Seton Healthcare Family
- ASCI/AAP Travel Award, American Society of Clinical Investigation/Association of American Physicians
- Joseph Pagano Fellowship Award, The Lineberger Comprehensive Cancer Center, University of North Carolina at Chapel Hill
- Bernard Amos Research Award, Duke University